Turf Removal Program Update
Thank you for your interest in our Turf Removal program, we are on track to remove over 170 million square feet of turf in southern California. Unfortunately, turf removal incentives are no longer being offered region-wide in Metropolitan’s service area because funding has been exhausted.
Local turf removal rebates might be available in some areas. Please click on “Estimate Your Rebate” to find out if your local water agency is still offering turf removal incentives.
Submittal of an application does not guarantee approval or payment.
Terms for Commercial Turf
Beginning May 12, 2015, the terms for commercial turf removal projects have changed. Please see below for details on these program changes.
The Turf Removal Program has re-launched with new terms and conditions, effective for all new and pending applications.
Commercial turf removal customers may now apply for and receive $1 per square foot, up to $25,000 per property each fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Commercial customers who previously received a turf removal rebate may apply for a rebate for additional areas. However, each property is subject to a maximum of $25,000 per fiscal year.
Terms for Public Agencies
The Turf Removal Program has re-launched with new terms and conditions, effective for all applications submitted after 1:00 p.m. on May 12, 2015.
Public agencies* may apply for and receive $2 per square foot for the first 3,000 square feet, and $1 for each square foot of turf removed thereafter, up to a maximum of $50,000 per property each fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Public agencies who previously received a turf removal rebate may apply for additional areas. However, each property is subject to a maximum of $50,000 per fiscal year. * For a definition of a public agency, please visit the program FAQs
Approval of all applications will be a on a first-come, first-served basis and subject to funding availability. Submital of a reservation request does not guarantee approval or payment.
Turf is one of the most water-intensive components of your landscape. Its high water use and frequent maintenance make it a time-consuming and expensive landscape option. By converting a turf lawn to a California Friendly™ landscape, you could save money on your water bill, reduce landscape maintenance costs, and show that your organization cares about water conservation.
In order for a customer to be eligible for the turf removal rebate, they must:
- Have existing grass in the proposed project area
- Install a new landscape that:
- Does not include live turf or turf looking plants
- Includes plants (not turf)
- Is permeable to water and air. Areas with concrete, structures and other surfaces that water and air cannot move through will be disqualified.
- Follows any additional requirements for their specific property. Requirements vary based on the local water agency. You can see these requirements by “estimating your rebate” or applying for project start approval (instructions below).
- Check to see if synthetic turf is eligible in their area. The terms and conditions for your property will state if synthetic turf is not eligible. “Estimate your rebate” to see if synthetic turf can receive a rebate at your property.
- Comply with all applicable local laws, ordinances and other restrictions.
- Must not have received a turf removal rebate before. Only one turf removal rebate per property is allowed.
Requirements vary based on your local water agency. You can see these requirements by “estimating your rebate” or applying for project start approval (instructions below).
- Synthetic turf is not eligible in all areas. The terms and conditions for your property will state if synthetic turf is eligible or not.